Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Kicking and Screaming Toward Spinsterhood

I don't want to be the spinster auntie. I want my own love, my own babies, my own. I've been nauseated lately and I've imagined someone suggesting an explanation for that: "maybe you're pregnant?" In the daydream my retort is stabbing -- I only WISH that were the reason for this gnawing at my being. If THAT were the reason, well, for one thing that would mean I'd had some sex, and sex would be good. Not only would sex be a good thing, but if I were pregnant, that would mean that at least some of the time my ovaries work properly! And that's a big question. For as long as anyone knows my ovaries have been hobbling along causing more pain than profit; for years they've been kept in line only by a severe regimen of foreign hormones, and WHO KNOWS what will happen if they're ever asked to perform their intended duties? Probably nothing at all but a lot of waiting and wishing. So being pregnant would indicate some level of ovarian functioning, which would be good. And not only would that be good, but that would mean that never would I be the spinster auntie, without my own love, my own babies, my own. And that is what I do not want to be. I'm not meant to be Auntie Em. I'm Somebody's Love, and Somebody's Mommy. But I sure as hell am not pregnant.

3 comments:

Annemarie said...

I like that you're doing this--kind of like a public journal or sorts (but only quasi-public). I like reading it.

Maybe this is shallow, but it's the first thing that came to my mind after reading your entry: I wondered if you've ever thought about having a baby in a more non-traditional way . . . ? One where you don't need a wedding ring on your finger (ie. artificial insemination, one-night stand)?

By the way, I have strong doubts about your spinsterhood status, my friend. But I hear what you're saying.

E. said...

I think I'll go with the one-night stand. Sounds like fun. No. I've thought a lot about adoption and think about it more and more.

Emily said...

thank you, glad. I love you too, and I miss you.